Amsterdam is a city known for its creativity, and business. The two are wonderful bed fellows that create unique and functional products that are little quirky.
Here are a list of places to visit, see and experience the best of Dutch Design.
Interior design Shops
- Moooi Gallery: Furniture label of the famous Marcel Wanders.
- Droog: A collective established in the 1990s that has become the flagship store for Dutch Design.
- &Klevering sells interior home accessories.
- Frozen Fountain stocks emerging and established designers. Look out for the specially commissioned pieces.
- Mobilia Woonstudio: has an impressive selection of top Dutch design labels.
- Thinking of Holland: stocks Dutch Design souvenirs.
|Knotted Chair: Marcel Wanders|
- Stedelijk: The home to contemporary art. Has a great range of turn of the 20th century furniture by famous designers such as Berlage.
- Museum Het Schip: An old apartment block that represents the Amsterdam School of architecture.
- Foam: Amsterdam's most recognized photography museum. The concept was developed by Amsterdam based creative agency Vandejong.
|Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam|
- Andaz Amsterdam - the 5 star hotel part of the Hyatt group is located centrally in the old old library on the Prinsengracht. The interior is designed by the famous Marcel Wanders.
- Dutch Design Hotel Artemis, a little out of town the hotel building's design was influenced by geometric forms of Mondrian, Dudok and Rietveld. Furniture and fittings are designed by contemporaries such as Piet Hein Eek, Marcel Wanders and Richard Hutten.
|Andez Hotel foyer Amsterdam|
- Yes, you read it right.. The great sign markets the city of Amsterdam. Designed by the creative group KesselsKramer.
- The sign is always moving but look for it in its normal home on Museumplein.
|Amsterdam Streetware brand Patta|
Dutch Design Tours
When in Amsterdam...enjoy!
Blogs posts similar:
- What is Dutch Design?
- Marcel Wanders: Pinned Up at the Stedelijk, 25 years of design.